Ethics and content statement
I am a member of the League of Landscape Photographers and as such, will act in accordance with the following Code of Ethics.
• I inform myself about all rules and regulations relating to photography when visiting a natural area or public attraction.
• I do not knowingly step onto private property without permission even if the property appears abandoned.
• I stay on designated paths and trails. If there is no trail, I follow proper etiquette by educating myself on the principles of Leave No Trace.
• I aim for authenticity by photographing plants and animals in their natural habitat engaging in their normal behaviours.
• I inform myself about the plants and animals I intend to photograph. I avoid photographing them if they exhibit distress signals, and during times of physical strain or breeding seasons. If my presence is causing stress, I leave the area immediately.
• I work to improve my photographic skills by using all my tools when making a composition. I do not move objects, pull plants or otherwise ‘tidy’ a scene. I move my position or wait patiently rather than attempt to influence an animal’s behaviour or posture.
• I refrain from baiting or placing attractants to entice wildlife or influence their behaviour.
• I keep rare species safe and intact by not broadcasting the location of a fragile area, plant or animal. I remove GPS data from my images before sharing them with others.
• I avoid stopping to photograph if it is likely to start a chain reaction resulting in other visitors crowding the area. I find another time or place to continue photographing.
• I am patient and courteous with non-photographers visiting a scene. I am creative and can adjust my expectations of the images I planned to make. I am open to new ideas as they present themselves to me.
• I am aware of my position and how it may interfere with the ability of the photographers and non-photographers around me to enjoy a scene.
• If someone wanders into my scene, I am courteous and will wait for them to move. I will consider adjusting my own position, or kindly asking them to move when they are ready.
• I adopt this Code of Ethics and strive to adhere to these important principles.
• I am an ambassador of ethical conduct in the industry through my own behaviour and by sharing these principles with other photographers and the public.
• I know and respect my physical limitations and keep myself out of harm’s way by avoiding situations where my health and safety or the health and safety of others could be put at risk by my actions.
• I educate myself about the weather, terrain, culture and potential hazards before visiting a new area.
• If I am leading a photo group, whether commercially or not, I ensure that the group members are informed about the Code of Ethics, potential hazards and other safety concerns, and that the group size is appropriate given the sensitivity of the place we are visiting.
• I am always forthcoming about my post-processing and refrain from representing my photographs as something they are not.
All content presented on this website and youtube, is my personal opinion or work.
Based on my experiences and obviously colored by a preference bias I have developed over the many years.
Currently my social media is on auto-pilot, parroting some of my favourite feeds with occasional entries of my own.
So those channels (Twitter/FaceBook/Google+) do not represent my personal opinion or possibly any version of reality.
I am hopeful this will change as I manage to dilate time to make more room for sitting in front of a screen.
In all cases if I post an article it will contain my personal and real opinion,
if for any reason I cannot do that the entry will not be posted.
If I do a review it is based on a product or service
I have purchased and actually make or made (since things evolve over time) use of.
If I am affiliated with or sponsored by a product or service It will be stated and
made clear at the start of the short dissertation about the product or service.
Solicited Product Articles/Reviews
At times products show up or services are offered in return for our opinion and/or a descriptive article
placement on our site, blog or social media. These will only be done if I am free to
state my real opinion of said product or service and it will be made clear at the start that the
entry was requested by the vendor and is not of a product or service I had actually previously purchased.
I will never endorse a product I don’t personally use and like.
I am not fond of the constant bombardment by advertising seemingly everywhere, in fact I go out of my way to avoid encountering any.
And I try to keep the website clear of superfluous advertisements as much as possible
For the most part all equipment I use in my photography and may mention in posts or videos I have purchased and own.
And I admit I used to be a gear head and computer nerd, both of which seems to be changing.